Wednesday, October 19, 2011

12 Disney Animals That Would Tear Your Face Off

So, I noticed today that Agent R had written an article about cool Disney animals. I thought it was a nice article, but I noticed something.

There were no villains. None. Nada.

So I decided to curl up with my Professor Ratigan doll and make a list of my own... but first, here are the ground rules-- as observed by Agent R:
1. They must be animal 100% of the time, so no Yzma-kitty.
2. Must be a part of the Disney animated canon.
3. Must be in a world where humans do or could exist (Prince John is out because their world is an anthropomorphized world. The world of The Lion King is in, however, because it's feasible that humans could exist in the same world.)

12 & 11. Si and Am (Lady and the Tramp)
I honestly hate them. However, this is not a list of my personal favorites, but of great Disney villains. These guys certainly make the list for tormenting poor Lady and getting her muzzled by a more human villain, Aunt Sarah.

The two of them sing a catchy, albeit very dated (and offensive), song as they prowl around the house and do nasty things including attempting to murder the goldfish and ruining the beautiful curtains.
Do they ever get their just desserts? Nope! They are coddled by Aunt Sarah while poor Lady is muzzled and blamed for everything.
I love both cats and dogs... but I really, really hate these cats. That's probably why they only got a sub-par section on this list. Still, their ability to rouse the feeling of haaattteeee makes them effective villains. Good show, kitties.

~

10. Chief (The Fox and the Hound)
You know, I feel really bad putting this guy on here. I don't consider him a villain so much as obedient to his master (the real villain of the film). However, he is considered an antagonist, so I included him on here. I think that Chief is absolutely precious.
No, not the adorable puppy. The cranky old-man greyhound. You heard me. He's been doing his job well and all of a sudden he gets stuck taking care of this cute, troublesome little yap. As hard as he tries to ignore him, Chief can't help but become Copper's daddy-of-sorts, and I daresay that he even becomes proud of the puppy as he grows up to become a great hunting dog.
Oh come on, I can't be the only one who cried when the train hit Chief.

Copper even threatened to kill his childhood friend because of it. Now that's loyalty-- and it unfortunately puts Chief on this list as a villain. I'm sure he learned in the end.

~

9. Percy (Pocahontas)
When I was a small child, Percy was my favorite character in the film. I was so annoyed by Meeko that I found myself rooting for the pampered pet of Governor Ratcliffe.
Though he isn't as despicable as his owner, Percy is a spoiled little boy who constantly causes trouble for--
wait a minute.
Who's causing trouble here? I think Percy is the victim!! It's that raccoon that's the villain. Just because one happens to be friends with the heroine and the other belongs to the villain doesn't mean that the roles can't be reversed.
I take it back. Percy is no longer on this list.
He is.

~

8 & 7. Flotsam and Jetsam
 Ursula is awesome. These guys, however, are just creepy. Freakin' creepy. From the way they leer, to the way they talk... "Together... foreverrr...." UGGHHH!! These guys are creepers!!


It also doesn't help that Ursula can see through their eyes. I just... ugh, these guys give me the willies. MOVING ON NOW.

~


6. Iago (Aladdin)
Ah, Iago. Though I prefer your human counterpart, you most definitely deserve to be on this list. You add some ham to Jafar's hamminess, you add some humor to Jafar's psychotic laughter, and you add... well...
Tee-hee, I could watch that all day.
Unfortunately, I kind of feel like he loses some of his humor when he teams up with the do-gooders... but he gets his groove back on when he hangs out with the King of Thieves.

~

5. Snowball (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
 No, not the imposing fellow.
 The horse. That horse. The incarnation-of-pure-evil-in-a-horse. The horse that is constantly judging you.
 Terrifying, and yet a beautiful specimen of a horse.
 Plus he's taller than Achilles. Haaaa-ha!
I've loved Snowball since the movie came out waaaay back in 1996. I knew his name was Snowball before most people did. I-- I'm sounding like a hipster, aren't I? Crap...
 JUST LOOK AT THE HORSE. 

~

 4. Scar (The Lion King)


(or, 101 Reasons Why Jeremy Irons is Amazing)
I know I am going to get so much hate for not having this guy be number one... or even number three. Well, I apologize. The truth is, this fellow terrified me so much as a child that I made my family leave the theater early. In fact, it was right after "Be Prepared". 
I'm trying to find the most fabulous images of him as possible so that I feel brave.
I think it's working, oddly enough.


Or not.

~

3. Shere Khan (The Jungle Book)
Scar's predecessor, and a frightening beast to behold. (Honestly, I'd rather face a lion than a tiger.) Shere Khan brought class, intimidation, and refinement to the jungle long before Scar set foot in the Elephant Graveyard.
Plus, he's also a ham. You know how I am with my hammy villains.
... And he shuts up Kaa. That gets him big points.

~

2. Professor Ratigan (The Great Mouse Detective)

A refined gentleman of a HAM, how could I not include the Professor? He's cool, he's calm (just don't call him a you-know-what), and he oozes poshness. Plus, he's voiced by Vincent Price.
He's a villain that you can't help but love... and fear when he brings out that bell.


And even then you love him because of his attitude towards his pet cat.


"Oh Felicia, my precious, my baaaaay-beeee~~"
Oh! Then his appearance in the finale will give you nightmares.

~

1. Diablo (Sleeping Beauty)
Yes. Above Ratigan, above Scar, above all of them... we have Maleficent's pet raven, Diablo. Maybe it's my bias towards the wicked fairy, but I honestly think that Diablo is one of the craftiest, most foul-hearted, most pesky villains in the Disney continuity. 

If it weren't for him, sweet little Briar Rose would have begrudgingly taken her place on the throne, realized that her true love was in fact Prince Philip, and everyone would have lived happily ever after. 

Now that wouldn't be much of a story, now would it? 
Plus, I think this is really cool. At the end of the film, Diablo is sadly turned into stone...

...If you go to Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant in Disneyland Paris (Sleeping Beauty Castle), you can see him. Yeah. Seriously, the statue of Diablo. Diablo himself.
Nifty, huh?





2 comments:

  1. Holy shit...I didn't realize Diabolo was real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you go to the dungeons of the castle, there's a huuuuuge dragon.

    ReplyDelete