Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Walt Disney World College Program: Where to Live?

I was looking for energetic Disney music to listen to while typing up this post, and I ended up getting distracted by YouTube videos of He-Man singing. How did I even get He-Man when I was looking up Disney? Ah, the mysteries of the internet.

One of the greatest debates in the College Program is this: "Can the Vista Way hot tubs get you pregnant or give you an STD?" Okay, so that was a joke. Well, partially. It IS a rumor that has been going around for years. I myself have never seen evidence of either, and I doubt that it's possible, but you know how rumors are. No, one of the greatest debates is which housing complex you should choose to live in for the next five-eight months. I am giving information on the three housing complexes available to non-international students. The Commons is where most international college programmers live, and looks very nice. Sadly, it also has the highest rent.

The three housing areas that CPers can choose from are (from oldest to newest): Vista Way, Chatham Square, and Patterson Court. I lived at Chatham Square, so I can give you my opinion on that place. For assistance on the others I got some help from Agent R and one of her alumni friends, Kelvin.

Vista Way
The stuff of legends. It is the oldest of the complexes which, according to Kelvin, can show in the apartments. Well, hey, after you host legendary Vista parties it only makes sense.
Some of the great things about living at Vista include the fact that being oldest does have its benefits. Lots of official College Program activities take place there (take advantage of the free food!) Something else to keep in mind is its location. Within easy walking distance is a Walgreen's and some food. There is a Wendy's, a Chick-fil-A, a Cici's, a Starbucks (mmm caffeine), and a Dunkin' Donuts.
Their computer labs are open until 12AM (compared to 5PM elsewhere) and they have a Learning Center where you can rent movies. Oh, and their bus stop is the final one before going on to the resort-- so you have moer time before catching the bus, and less of a chance of being late. Nice!

As for the cons... well... Vista IS known for its parties. So, if you're the type of person who needs your sleep and isn't much for loud revelry and tomfoolery, Vista Way probably isn't for you. There's also the fact that the living areas don't look as, well, new. It's been lived in-- but it's the least expensive! WOO!!
(Oh, as for the... uh... pools and hot tubs. I haven't been in them, but I've heard that the hot tub is really relaxing after work. I mean, they legally have to clean them-- seriously. However, romance can and does happen in them. Use at your own risk, I guess.)

Chatham Square
My complex of choice for when I went. Hope to stay there next time, too. It has a bus stop, it isn't as party-central as Vista Way, and it's pretty nice. Most people want to live there, so that means you'll have lots of company. Chatham also has a great pool and tennis courts. It is in walking distance of a grocery store, though it's kind of high-end. It's literally right down the street from Mickey's Retreat, which has lots of fun stuff like basketball courts and the like.

I had to ask multiple people for what they considered to be negative about Chatham. It's a much-loved complex. I -did- manage to get some things, though. For one thing, the kitchens are itty-bitty. Teensy-weensy. Also, navigating Chatham can be a bit awkward for drivers.

Patterson Court
The newest of the complexes, with wooden cabinets (WOODEN CABINETS). It is beautiful. Gorgeous. Well-lit. The pool is supposedly so clean that it's... well, it's clean. Very nice. I cannot get over the wooden cabinets. So nice. It's quiet, though not as quiet as Chatham. So it's kind of like the happy medium, I guess. It's also only $1 more than Chatham Square.

The bad news is that you have to walk to Chatham to catch the bus. However, if you have a car that shouldn't be a problem. It's farther away from everything, including the official CP parties. Mmmm, free groceries. Also, even though it's only a dollar more than Chatham Square-- CP also stands for "Constantly Poor". Agent R said, "That same dollar could mean a bowl of ramen."

.....
So, though in the end it's up to you, I would recommend Chatham. However, like LeVar Burton says, "Don't take my word for it." Ask around!

1 comment: